Governance - School Standards Board
As part of the GLF Schools multi academy trust, The Beacon is able to benefit from the support and opportunities of that trust membership. Being part of a Trust allows us to work within a governance structure which is different from a traditional Governing Body model and from 2020 our local governance body is now called a School Standards Board. This Board will continue to include parent representatives, elected in the same way as parent governors were previously, and representatives from the local community, together with our Headteacher, Mr Batchelor and representatives from the Trust’s central team.
The Beacon’s Schools Standards Board (SSB) meets once per half term and provides the local governance function for the schools which fits within the overall governance structure of GLF Schools.
Further information about governance at GLF Schools can be found here:
The three core functions of governance are:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management, including well-being, of staff
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
School Standards Board
The School Standards Board has the following Core responsibilities:
- Strategic oversight of the education provision of The Beacon School
- Strategic oversight of compliance of the School with Trust policies
- Supporting the Trust Board to ensure good governances across the Trust
The SSB is also the Board's interface with pupils, staff, parents and the local community, ensuring that stakeholder voices are heard and responded to and providing a local focus on wellbeing of pupils and staff.
It is therefore important that our SSB comprises the right people with the right skills to make appropriate and informed decisions for a school, taking into account the views of children and students, staff, parents and the local community.
The members of The Beacon School Strategy Board are:
- Gill Edwards - SSB Chair, Community SSB Member
- Simon Brookhouse - SSB Vice-Chair, Community SSB Member
- Elizabeth Clarke - Parent SSB Member
- Harvey Morris - Parent SSB Member
- Wendy Sager - Community SSB Member
- Keith Batchelor – Headteacher SSB Member
- The GLF Education Partner for The Beacon School is Russell Bennett
- Tessa Jones - Clerk
To contact the Chair of our Standards Board, please use the following email:
To contact the Clerk to The Beacon School Standards Board, please use the following email: