Sixth Form Work Experience Information
A work experience week for Year 12 students is scheduled for the week beginning Monday 2 July.
The main objectives of work experience are:
- To allow students to experience and understand the work environment
- To gain new skills such as team work and communication skills
- Increase their business contacts and expand their network
- To try out a job and ask questions which will lead to an insight into what the students may want to pursue in the future
- To help the students gain greater self-confidence and maturity
Relevant work experience is increasingly viewed as an essential part of any good application for Higher Education and the world of work. For candidates who appear equally well qualified on paper and are applying for the same courses/jobs, it could well be the work experience placement that tips the balance in favour of one candidate over the other. More than ever nowadays, this is the case given the greater competition for places in both the job market and universities.
In November, we launched the work experience programme for this year and shared key information with students and their parents/carers. Students were encouraged to find their own placements, with support from their families, form tutors and the Sixth Form Team. Advice on the process and how to find placements was included in the initial Work Experience letter.
- 20 November 2017 – WEX launch at Year 12 Assembly
- 27 November 2017– CV writing Year 12 Assembly
- 29 January 2018 – Deadline for completed Work Experience Application Forms
- 2 July 2018 – Work Experience week
Further information on how to find a work experience placement
- Friends or family support and connections
- Online work experience schemes
- Speculative letters or emails direct to companies and organisations
- LinkedIn profiles and network communications